Policies & Procedures

Policies & Procedures


Accessing Your Room

Students checking in a residence hall, as part of move-in day in the fall semester, should do so at their designated location. Students will need to comply with their assigned hall’s move-in day procedures. Specific information regarding move-in day (MVNU2MSU) can be found on the homepage of the website (housing.msstate.edu) prior to move-in day.

  • Rooms must be left in clean and in rentable condition upon check out.
  • Rooms must be vacated no later than 24 hours following the student's last scheduled final exam or 48 hours after withdrawal from MSU.
  • Refrigerators and microwaves must be defrosted, emptied and cleaned.
  • All personal belongings must be removed from the room.
  • Keys must be returned, and other checkout procedures completed prior to checking-out with a residence hall staff member.
  • Failure to properly check-out with an RA or RD will result in the student being assessed a $50 improper checkout penalty.
  • Cleaning fees begin at $25 and increase depending on the extent of the cleaning that is necessary.
  • If you must check out during a semester, you must notify HRL by submitting an online cancellation request form via my.housing.msstate.edu. For additional details, please view your specific housing term contract listed above, or contact the Housing Office at (662)325-3555.
  • A signed contract may not be cancelled during the 9-month academic year if you are enrolled at MSU

Residents will be charged a minimum of $7.50 each time a staff member must open a door because of a forgotten or misplaced key/ID.

  • University residence halls will open as announced on the University Academic Calendar prior to registration for each semester.
  • Rooms must be vacated no later than 24 hours following the student's last scheduled final examination unless the student is graduating.
  • During winter break, the university will close all residence halls. For an additional charge, students may stay in break housing during the break. For more information about break housing and break housing rates, contact the Department of Housing and Residence Life at (662) 325-3555.
  • All residents are required to turn off lights, unplug appliances, defrost refrigerators, empty trashcans, remove perishables from refrigerators, and take home pet fish or plants before holiday closings. Locked windows and doors and draw blinds and drapes, this will enhance the security of a resident's room. The Department of Housing and Residence Life is not responsible for personal belongings which may be lost, damaged, or stolen. Valuables should be removed from the room by the resident during holiday to prevent theft or damage. Students failing to adhere to the closing procedures may be assessed a $50 violation penalty.

The university reserves the right to enter a student's room for maintenance and security measures, as well as in the event of an emergency which may jeopardize the well-being or the occupant or other students in the halls.

  • Room keys are issued by the residence director or resident advisers and are the sole responsibility of the residents to whom they are issued. Keys must be returned to the residence hall staff when a resident vacates an assigned room.
  • If a key is lost or stolen, the resident is responsible for reporting it to the residence director and for paying a lock change fee. A lock change fee is $140 and will be charged to a student's MSU Student Account.
  • Because of the security risk, it is important to report lost keys immediately.
  • If a student attempts to turn in a key at check-out which was duplicated off-campus, the situation will be treated as a lost key. A key which is not returned in accordance with the proper check-out procedure will be considered a lost key, and the student will be billed accordingly. Keys cannot be accepted by information assistants or custodial staff. Keys may not be slid under staff members' doors or left with a roommate.
  • The following policies apply when a student is locked out of his or her room. These policies serve as a safeguard for both the student and the university.
    • Student room doors will be opened only for the occupant(s) of a room. If the student is not known by the staff member, the student will be required to show some form of picture identification.
    • Custodians and information assistants will not unlock rooms for students. Students will be referred to a resident adviser or the residence director.
    • Residents will be charged a minimum of $7.50 each time a staff member must open a door because of a forgotten or misplaced key.

Advertising & Communication

  • Posting, hanging, displaying signage, lighting, or any other materials in, on, or around the residence hall windows, on university window coverings, or common area windows is strictly prohibited. University window coverings (shades, blinds, etc.) need to be visible from the outside. Signs, banners, lighting, flags, etc. should not cover windows to any degree.

  • If you have flyers or posters you would like to be hung in the halls you must bring 16 or 32 of these to the main Housing Office on the ground floor of Dogwood Hall for HRL staff to approve and distribute.

  • Content Disclaimer: The advertisement, posters, flyers, notices, signs, or banners should adhere to all university policies and state and federal laws. Promoting the use of alcohol and/or illegal substances is also prohibited. It may not include any reference to or support of violations of the code of student conduct, residence hall policies, federal, state, or local law. The Department of Housing and Residence Life reserves the right to reject or remove any posting.

  • Residents, organizations, or departments may not distribute materials directly within the residence halls as it is handled exclusively by HRL.

  • Postings not bearing the HRL approval logo will be removed from residence hall boards, and may result in the posting’s sponsor being denied approval in the future.

  • Advertising for commercial (i.e., profit-making) purposes by businesses, organizations, entities, or individuals must be approved by the Director for Residence Life & Occupancy Management. All commercial advertising will be placed in a pre-determined location in each lobby. Door-to-door delivery of commercial advertising is prohibited.

  • Students are free to post signs, artwork, advertisements, etc. on the exterior side of the door to their room as outlined in the Decorating Policies. Resident Advisers may ask students with postings that violate law or university policy to remove them. 

  • Door-to-door solicitation is prohibited in University Student Housing. Student groups wishing to solicit in residence hall lobbies must obtain permission from the Associate Director of Residence Life and the Residence Director(s) involved. There is a detailed university solicitation policy.
  • Residence hall rooms may not be used by students and/or student groups as places of business or operating/maintaining a business.

Facilities Management

The student is responsible for damages to his/her room and shall reimburse HRL for damages or loss of accommodations and furnishing. Damages to public areas may be billed to the responsible student(s) or to the residents of the hall or floor.

Maintenance requests may be submitted online:

  • Log on my.housing.msstate.edu
  • Click 'Fix-It' from the black menu bar located at the top of the page
  • Select 'New Job'
  • Fill out the user friendly form
  • Click 'Submit Fix-It Ticket'

Students may contact the Housing Facilities Office at (662)325-2190 or hfacwo@saffairs.msstate.edu to check the status of a maintenance request.

  • Each student is provided with furnishings that include a single bed and mattress (twin XL), desk, desk chair, use of chest of drawers and/or closet, and mirror. Students may not move additional items into the room from public areas of the hall or from other student rooms. Fluid-filled furniture is prohibited. Students may bring items from home to personalize their rooms.
  • Care should be taken not to damage walls or the general condition of the room. Residents will be charged for any damages or changes to the general condition of the room or its furnishings.
    • A student or parent cannot remove furniture from the residence hall room or MSU campus at any time.
    • Furniture cannot be left in corridors.
    • Furniture that is broken will be picked up and replaced when a Fix-It request form is submitted.
    • Students found responsible for damaged or broken furniture will be billed for repair or replacement costs.
    • RAs of each residence hall are required to maintain an accurate inventory of all property and perform a visual inspection of each room prior to check-in and at the time of check-out. RAs are also to report discrepancies to their RDs each semester.
    • HRL is also required to perform a visual inspection and internal audit of all property each semester and report their findings to the Residence Directors and department administration.
  • Cinder blocks or any devices other than an approved loft used to elevate beds are prohibited for liability and security reasons (please also see Bunking/Lofting/and Other Construction under the section Making Your Room Your Own).
  • Lobby furniture is designed for the lobby and must remain in the lobby. Students are prohibited from removing furniture from the lobby to any other location. Students found with lobby furniture in any location other than the lobby will be charged accordingly for the removal of such property. 

Dropping any object down stairwells, out of windows, or off balconies is prohibited.

Climbing on balconies and stairwells is prohibited.

Window screens should never be removed. Screen removal will result in a repair charge to residents of the room. Residents should not place any items on the ledges of windows or on air conditioning units. Throwing objects from windows is prohibited. Residents of a room from which objects are thrown will be held responsible.

Housing Agreement Obligations

  • Students may submit cancellation requests by logging onto my.housing.msstate.edu, selecting the application/contract term they wish to cancel then filling out and submitting their request.
  • If a Fall resident submits a contract cancellation request for the Spring cancellation, it does not necessarily mean he/she has cancelled the nine-month contract. If a Fall resident with a 9-month contract submits a request cancellation for the Spring term but is found enrolled after the last day to drop a class, Spring housing charges will be reinstated to their student account. A student must be participating in co-op, internship, the military service, student teaching, a student exchange program, withdrawing from MSU or transferring to another college in order for a contract cancellation request to be accepted for the Spring semester. Students getting married or obligated to military service will need to provide documentation to support their request. Residents may submit cancellation requests by logging onto my.housing.msstate.edu, selecting the application/contract term they wish to cancel then filling out and submitting their request. 
  • Please refer to your specific term Housing Contract above or contact the Housing Office at (662)325-3555.

As a student of Mississippi State University, all residents are issued an official My State email account. HRL uses this email account to communicate announcements and important Housing information to residents. All residents are required to abide by university email policies.

Occasionally, extraordinary circumstances arise which make it difficult for a student to fulfill his/her contractual obligations. Such circumstances include, but are not limited to, sudden and severe financial hardship, sudden and severe medical diagnosis, or a sudden family problem. The Department of Housing and Residence Life has established the Contract Appeals Process to determine if a specific situation merits release from the contract. It is the student’s responsibility to provide adequate documentation to support his/her reason for appeal. A student’s failure to provide adequate documentation may result in immediate decline of the appeal.

Housing contracts can be appealed by picking up a contract appeals form in the Department of Housing and Residence Life office in Dogwood Hall, filling it out and returning it with the appropriate documentation to Dogwood Hall. An appointment with the Housing Appeal Review Committee will be scheduled. All appeals will be reviewed by the Committee, chaired by the Associate Director for Administrative Operations, or his/her designee, for adjudication. Any student who does not appear for his/her appointment with the Committee will forfeit his/her privilege to appear and will have his/her appeal adjudicated based on written documentation. Contract Appeals will incur a non-refundable $50 contract appeal hearing fee. Contract appeals will be reviewed each semester until the refund rate, per the University refund schedule, goes to $0.

If an appeal is granted, a $400 cancellation penalty will be assessed. Any refunds of fees will be based on the University refund schedule as established by the Controller’s Office.

Students denied a release by the committee may appeal to the Student Housing Appeals Board. The Board is a group of faculty and staff members reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs. Board decisions are final.

RSVP is the application renewal / room re-assignment period that allows current residents to indicate their request for housing for the following academic year; assignments are not automatic and not guaranteed. RSVP is a two step process that takes place around November. Residents will receive an email via their MSU email address with instructions for submitting an online application. Students selected to participate in the online selection process will receive an email with detailed information on how to proceed. Those students will choose their rooms online based on a selection of available spaces. Priority for room selection is primarily based on a student's RSVP application date (the earlier a student applies for RSVP, the earlier their online room selection time slot will be). 

  • The process of withdrawal begins with your academic dean. The academic calendar will show the withdrawal deadline dates.
  • The student should be aware that properly checking out of the residence hall is a part of the process of withdrawal from the University. The student should contact the Department of Housing and Residence Life at (662)325-3555 or housing@saffairs.msstate.edu with specific questions regarding checking out of the residence hall during any time other than the end of the semester checkout period. See the Check-Out section above for additional details.
  • A student who withdraws from the University has 48 hours to vacate the residence hall.

Upon the expiration or cancellation of this contract under any of the above provisions, the University shall have the right to re-enter the premises to remove the student’s property therefrom. Personal property left in a residence hall room after a student withdrawals or fails to enroll will be considered abandoned property.  Upon discovery, a student will be notified of the removal of their abandoned property from the room to a secure location within the residence hall and be given 48 hours to claim their property. The student expressly waives the service of any notice to re-enter, notice to terminate the tenancy, notice to quit or demand for possession. Breach by the student of any of the duties established by this agreement authorizes the use of any remedy available in law or equity. If the student fails to pay rental fees, additional fees and charges by the dates required by this agreement, the University is entitled to pursue any or all of the following actions: terminate this contract; evict the student from University housing; stop registration; and withhold transcript of grades, diploma, or other records and documents maintained by the University.

Housing Fees

The MSU Controller's Office in Garner Hall facilitates payments of room charges and other housing related fees, with the exception of the Housing Application fee (which is payable during the online housing application process).

Refund of fees will not be made to a student who moves from student housing unless he or she withdraws from the University. Students who register and pay their fees or move into a residence hall for any period of time and then move out of student housing are not entitled to a refund. Students who withdraw from the University are entitled to a prorated refund based on the schedule published in the university bulletin.

During winter break, the university will close all residence halls. For an additional charge, students may stay in break housing during the break. For more information about break housing and break housing rates, contact the Department of Housing and Residence Life at (662) 325-3555.

Making Your Room Your Own

The construction of bunk beds and lofts must be inspected by Maintenance and Facilities, (662) 325-2190, as soon as you have checked in at your residence hall. MSU officials will inspect and approve or reject the completed project. Cinder blocks or any other non-approved device used to elevate or bunk beds are prohibited. Lofts are permitted in residence halls as long as they comply with the following: no furniture provided may be removed from the room, nothing can be bolted to the walls, and there MUST be at least 18 inches from the ceiling to the bed. Schematics can be tentatively approved through email to housing@saffairs.msstate.edu, but will still be inspected upon completion to ensure their approval and the student’s safety.

  • Avoid using adhesive materials that may damage finishes.
    • We recommend push pins/tacks/thumb tacks in student rooms to hang things up. Please do NOT use nails.
  • Room numbers and door peepholes must never be covered.
  • During holiday seasons or special occasions, lobbies and other common areas may be decorated. However, candles, rope lights, tubular lights, and other fire hazards may not be used. Due to fire hazards, fresh cut trees or tree foliage are not allowed in residence halls. Decorations may be displayed no more than 7 days prior to the event/holiday and must be removed within 48 hours after the event. If decorations are not removed within this timeframe, the sponsoring organizations may be billed for housing facilities’ removal of the items.

  • The Department of Housing and Residence Life accepts no responsibility or liability for items left in a residence hall by a student who has moved out. The department may conclude a resident or other person has abandoned property under the following circumstances:
    • Owners of abandoned property will be assessed anywhere from $40-$100 for an Abandoned Property Handling Fee (Depending on the quantity of items left behind).
    • If a resident vacates a residence hall room, has not given proper notice, has not properly checked out, and leaves personal property behind, then the students belongings will be bagged and property stored away by the HRL staff for a period of 60 days.
    • A resident vacates a residence hall room without giving proper notice and leaves personal property behind.
    • Personal property belonging to a student is improperly left in a storeroom.
    • Personal property belonging to a student that was misplaced or reported lost is subsequently recovered by staff or others, the owner is notified, but the owner fails to claim the property.

  • The following items are prohibited in the residence halls: personally-owned air conditioners, washers and dryers, dishwashers, microwave ovens, extra refrigerators/freezers, exterior aerials, antennae, or satellite dishes; firearms, ammunition, other forms of weapons, fireworks, other explosives, or flammable liquids, such as propane, gasoline, or kerosene; alcohol; unlawful to possess controlled substances; open-coiled appliances such as toasters, toaster ovens, hotplates, electric grills with exposed coils, etc., or space heaters; halogen lights or lamps, tubular party lights, rope lights, or any non-LED string light; extension cords; wick burning candles or incense; cinder blocks, and darts and dart boards, air-guns, air-rifles, paintball guns, paintball rifles, paintballs.
  • Hoverboards and hoverboard chargers, are not permitted in residence halls. 
  • Motorcycles are not to be taken into residence halls.
  • Personal scooters including electric/battery-powered scooters, skateboards, and one-wheels, are prohibited in the residence halls. These items cannot be stored (or ridden) inside residence hall rooms. 
  • Animals or pets other than aquarium fish are not permitted in any on-campus residence hall. Fish tanks larger than a 20-gallon capacity are not permitted. Any damages to housing facilities (this includes but is not limited to: water onto furniture, carpet or flooring from a broken tank or bowl; rock, gravel, plants, live or deceased marine life put into toilets or sinks) due to having a fish tank or bowl will be the responsibility of the owner of the fish tank or bowl.
  • Smoking is prohibited in all residence halls and within 25 feet from all buildings on campus.
  • Sanctions for possession and/or use of any prohibited item may include, but are not limited to, restitution for any and all damages to University property or the property of students or guests. Additional judicial and/or legal sanctions may apply.
  • Outside faucets and water hoses are not to be used by residents for car washing or any other use. 

Room Changes

Contact HRL (Dogwood Hall Housing Office or 662-325-3555) to review room change possibilities or wait list options before moving to campus. After moving in, you may check with your RD for changes within your building. Hall changes may be requested by completing a 'Room-Roommate Reassignment Request' form at the front desk of any residence hall.

All moves must be coordinated through Residence Directors and/or the Department of Housing and Residence Life. A student who makes an unauthorized move must pay a $50 penalty and move back to the proper assignment.

During Online Room Selection (OLRS) students have the ability select their bed for the Fall term. Beginning June 5 through June 30, reassignment request forms can be submitted on the Housing Portal. These requests will be made by the MSU Assignments Office, are not guaranteed, and will be granted based on availability.

Residents wanting a room change will need to contact their current Residence Hall Director (RDs) or Community Director (CDs). The RDs and CDs have offices within their respective residence hall and will assist their residents with room change requests. RD/CD office hours are posted on/near their office door along with their contact information. These requests are not guaranteed and will be made at the discretion of the RD/CD and based on availability.

Safety and Security

Students should use multiple outlet adapters with surge protectors to connect more than one appliance; however, any student found to be overloading the circuit will be required to reduce usage. Extension cords are not allowed in the residence halls.

  • Each residence hall has an evacuation plan for use in the event of a fire. The resident adviser for each living unit will be able to instruct residents about the predetermined plan for evacuation.
  • All residents must immediately evacuate the building whenever the fire alarm sounds.
  • Tampering with or misuse of fire safety equipment is prohibited. Fire safety equipment includes, but is not limited to, fire alarms, smoke detectors, and fire extinguishers. Anyone found vandalizing or using fire safety equipment for any purpose other than safety could be subject to suspension from the University pending an administrative hearing which could include losing the privilege to live in university housing, as well as criminal prosecution. The Department of Housing and Residence Life will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law where fire, safety, and security are concerned.
  • Food left cooking and unattended is considered a fire hazard, and disciplinary action will be taken.
  • Wick burning candles, incense, open-coiled appliances and other potential fire hazards are strictly prohibited (see Prohibited Items). Disciplinary action may result from possession of these items. Housing administration reserves the right to require the removal of items they deem as a potential fire hazard.
  • Housing staff will make periodic health and safety inspections during the year. 
  • Hoverboards or hoverboard chargers are not permitted in the residence halls.

  • When a staff member is notified that a student has a contagious/infectious disease, the staff member is required to report that information to his/her immediate supervisor. (Resident Advisers and Residence Directors will notify the Associate Director for Residence Life or Director of Housing and Residence Life). The information will be handled confidentially.
  • The Director of the Longest Student Health Center will be contacted to assist with the proper handling of such information. Follow-up and future actions will be determined by health center officials on a case-by-case basis.
  • The Department of Housing and Residence Life, in cooperation with other units of the institution, will provide necessary information and action when necessary to a community to respond to a contagious outbreak, if one exists in a community.
  • The Department of Housing and Residence Life will not allow concern or suspicion about the health or sexuality of a student on the part of other students or by housing employees to result in a demand that the suspected student be tested for the HIV antibody or other infectious disease, or that he or she be relocated, isolated, ostracized, or excluded from on-campus housing.

Security is primarily the responsibility of the student. Doors should be locked whenever the resident is not in the room.

  • Perimeter and corridor doors are equipped with card readers as a part of the security system in each residence hall. In most halls, these doors are locked during certain hours and are only accessible to residents of the building and/or floor. The resident has the responsibility to adhere to the rules in each hall governing the use of these doors. At no time should doors be propped open. Access cards are not to be loaned or transferred at any time. Disciplinary action will result for unauthorized use of access cards. Individuals found responsible for tampering with security doors and/or compromising residence hall safety will be referred to the Dean of Students Office and may be criminally prosecuted.
  • The front desk will be staffed 24 hours during the academic year, except during university breaks, halls may consolidate desks to zones. The information assistant will confront any unescorted person who is not a resident within the residence hall and is attempting to go into the residential area during visitation hours and confront any non-resident attempting to enter the residential area during other hours. The information assistant will call University police, if necessary, for assistance.
  • Emergency telephone boxes are located in many residence hall parking lots and elsewhere on campus.

Mississippi State University is located in an area where it is common to have inclement weather. In the case that inclement weather is within a close distance to the university, please look to the following as guidance on the situations.

  • Please refer to www.msstate.edu as all university updates will be placed here.
  • Within your residence hall, the residence director and resident advisers will be in charge of implementing the Department of Housing’s inclement weather plan. If conditions are favorable for dangerous weather, signs will be placed throughout the halls to notify students if we are under a warning or watch level. (Tornado Warning, or Watch)
  • In case of a Tornado Watch (conditions are favorable for hazardous weather to develop) the housing staff members will notify students and ask that students monitor the weather on their own as well as check university websites for updates.
  • In the case of a Tornado Warning (Tornado has been spotted close to or on campus) housing staff will sternly ask students to report to the established safe zone within the residence hall and to remain there until the weather is all clear. In conjunction with the university severe weather monitoring, sirens may be activated on campus to alert staff and students that inclement weather is approaching campus.
  • It is highly encouraged that all students register for the Maroon Alert system to be updated on inclement weather and other procedures on the campus. The housing staff will update students as information becomes available, but it is also the shared responsibility of students to monitor the weather and help get themselves to a safe zone during inclement weather.

Social Courtesy

It is each resident's responsibility to be respectful and courteous to other residents at all times regarding noise. Academic needs will take precedence over social or recreational needs at any time of the day. Residents must also be reasonable in their dealings with each other over acceptable levels of noise in the residence hall communities. Noise problems are best resolved as a community using discussion and when needed group contracts. Resident Advisers are trained in conflict resolution and will assist residents at any time.

Quiet hours are from 10pm – 10am. Special events scheduled by the individual hall association or hall staff, flexibility is permitted with regard to quiet hours. The sponsoring group is responsible for requesting the residence director to make an exception to the quiet hours expectations. It is the responsibility of the residence director to inform the residents about any change in quiet hours for a special event.

Amplified music outdoors is permitted only in accordance with policy.

Students who consistently refuse to conform to Quiet Hours may be referred to the residence hall conduct process. Excessive noise is defined as any sound, including amplified music, which can be heard inside a student’s room from another student’s room when both room doors are closed, or sound from the hallway when the room door is closed.

Visitation in all residence halls will be allowed from 10:00 am to 2:00 am, Monday through Sunday. All visitors must check in with the residence hall front desk and present a government issued ID such as a MSU Student ID or Drivers License. Guests must be escorted by the host resident at all times.

Students should be courteous neighbors at all times in the Residence Halls. Students are not allowed to engage in rowdy/uproarious behavior, rough house, or participate in sporting activities in the hallways or residence hall rooms. These behaviors can be extremely disruptive to fellow residents. 


  • Housing requires all bicycles to be registered with Parking Services. This is a free service to students.
  • Bicycles may be kept at one of the following three locations:
    • Inside a resident’s room
    • Stowed in the racks outside the residence hall
    • Bike room if applicable
  • Bicycles left in other areas will be removed as abandoned property.
  • Bicycles not properly registered with Parking Services will be confiscated.
  • Bicycles which are confiscated will be held for 30 days then discarded as abandoned property. 

Personal computer equipment is permitted in the residence halls. However, personal routers, WiFi boosters, hubs, or any other signal enhancing hardware are prohibited from being used on campus. It is also recommended that students should purchase personal property insurance to safeguard from theft or loss. If caught having any of the above, a student will be referred to the Dean of Students Office.

All residence halls are wired and have wireless internet access. Students also have access to computer labs located in Griffis, Hull, Rice, and Ruby halls.

The use of computer lab computers and MSU network resources is governed by the MSU Policy for Use of Computing and Network Resources.

The Freshman Year Experience is part of the university's vision of making Mississippi State University a premier living and learning University.  The Freshman Year Experience which encompasses the Freshman Year Experience Meal Plan is a result of Mississippi State's commitment to providing its students with a comprehensive educational and social experience. For more information about MSU Dining Service and the Freshman Year Experience Meal Plan visit: http://msstatedining.campusdish.com/FAQs.aspx

Your student may register for in-room telephone service by visiting www.its.msstate.edu/services/accounts/telephone/. In-room telephone service requires a connection fee of approximately $123.75 and a $22.25 monthly payment.

  • Cooking in student rooms is permitted only with a microwave. Coffee pots are permitted in student rooms (No open coils).
  • All residence halls are equipped with kitchens, and students are encouraged to use them. The following types of student-owned appliances are permitted for use in the hall kitchen: sandwich makers, waffle irons, closed coil in-door electric grills, and crockpots. 

Each residence hall has at least one laundry room that students can access at anytime. Laundry machines take debit cards, credit cards, or quarters. The cost per cycle for each load is $1.50. For more information regarding our laundry provider visit: http://www.caldwellandgregory.com/

Students who plan to bring a personal vehicle with them to campus must buy a parking decal to park by your residence hall. Parking is only permitted in specific areas designated by your decal, and you will get a ticket if you are park out of zone. The University encourages you to walk, ride a bike, or use the University Transit System. To purchase your parking decal, you must register your vehicle with Parking Services online at http://www.parkingservices.msstate.edu/parking/.

University Policy

Mississippi State University students are expected and held accountable for following university policies and procedures. We encourage all students to be familiar with these. They can be viewed by visiting: http://www.msstate.edu/web/security/student_policies.html

You & Your Roommate

The University may consolidate rooms to fill capacity when vacancies occur and may move students to another room when such consolidations become necessary. Students who are not contracted for a designated single occupancy room, do not have a roommate, and have been requested to consolidate may either select another roommate, have another roommate assigned by the University, or change rooms. Any room change must be approved by the Assignments Office or Residence Hall Director and be completed within three days after notification to consolidate. If the consolidation has not occurred within this three-day period, the student may be relocated.

Roommate Contracts are tools that resident advisers and residence directors may use in order to help mediate roommate issues within a residence hall. Your resident adviser may ask for two roommates to sit down and discuss the roommate contract and have the roommates agree on certain things in order to make sure that both roommates are safe, secure, and comfortable within their residence hall rooms. The roommate contract addresses issues such as: Study habits, communication, personal habits, room cleaning, shared spaces within the room, room security, sharing of food or clothes, major equipment or appliances, visitors, trash removal, web cam usage, respect, privacy, and sleeping arrangements and times. 

If at any time a student would like to request a room or roommate change, the student can do so by filling out a 'Room-Roommate Reassignment Request' form. These forms can be picked up at the front desk within the residence halls or from a residence director or resident adviser. Students must complete this form and return it to the residence director. It is at the discretion of the residence director to determine if there is space available to make a move within the residence hall and generally will try to mediate a roommate situation prior to granting a room change. If it is determined that a room or roommate change is necessary, the residence director has the ability to grant a room change or they will refer the student to the main housing office to grant room changes that may require students to move into a different residence hall than the one that they are currently residing in.

  • Residents in any traditional residence hall may apply for a private room at any time; however, a request will be honored each semester only after all applicants have been assigned on a double-occupancy basis. The rate for a private room is 1 and 1/2 times of the double-room rate per semester. The additional payment is due upon assignment to the private room by the Department of Housing and Residence Life and will be prorated after the third week of the semester, depending upon the date on which the student became the only resident in the room.
  • Residents having private rooms during fall semester automatically retain the private room, at the appropriate rate, for the spring semester. The possibility always exists that a residence hall having ample space for private rooms in the fall may not have enough space in the spring due to new assignments. The Department of Housing and Residence Life reserves the right to assign two residents to a room that was previously private, if adequate space is not available elsewhere, and charge both residents the double-room rate.