Freshman Residency Requirement

All First-Time Freshmen are required to reside in University Student Housing if enrolled in one or more face-to-face credit hours at Mississippi State University. 


Each residence hall has at least one community laundry room with washers and dryers. The machines accept quarters and credit or debit cards. It costs $1.50 to wash and $1.50 to dry. 


The staff of Housing and Residence Life is committed to an effective and efficient response to students who suspect they may have bed bugs.   

If a student suspects they have bed bugs, he or she should contact Housing and Residence Life Facilities ASAP by calling 662-325-2190. Once Facilities has been contacted, they will dispatch an exterminator to inspect the room. After the inspection, HRL will decide the course of action from the exterminator's report.  

Residence Hall Access

The outside doors are on a 24-hour lock and can only be accessed by residents scanning their MSU Student ID card on card readers that allow only those students who live in that residence hall or on that floor to enter the building/floor. 

Friends of students who do not live in that residence hall will not have card access to that building's doors and hallways. All guests should always use the front entrance to enter each residence hall. Residents will need to meet their guests at the front door and sign them in at the front desk. 


Visitation hours for guests of the opposite gender are 10 a.m. to 2 a.m.

All visitors (including parents) must check in at the residence hall’s front desk and present a government-issued ID, such as a MSU Student ID or Driver’s License. Guests must be escorted by a resident and wear a guest pass at all times. Overnight guests are only allowed if they are the same gender as the host resident and must follow the same check-in procedure as any other guest. Overnight guests are required to be approved at least 48 hours in advance of the overnight stay.


Presidential and National Merit scholarship recipients are also eligible for a housing scholarship.

The housing portion of this scholarship covers the cost of an on-campus, double-occupancy residence hall space for four years (eight semesters), as long as the student maintains continuous residency in on-campus housing.

Advanced Payment Plan

Payment plans are available for any student. This must be set up for a student to move into the residence hall. Fall bills must be paid by August 1st or the student’s schedule will be subject to cancellation. 

Disability Accommodations

Housing Requests

Disability-related housing accommodations are to be requested through the Disability Resource Center (DRC).

  • Students with disabilities requesting housing accommodations must begin the process by submitting the request to DRC. Students must provide documentation from an appropriate professional indicating diagnosis and the need for housing accommodations. 
  • Instructions for how to apply for housing accommodations can be found at How to Apply for Accommodations
  • Students wishing to bring an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) must submit an application to the DRC office (How to Apply for Accommodations).