State Your Home

Frequently Asked Questions

What's in my room?

What will be in my room when I get to Mississippi State University?

All of our double rooms contain two beds, two desks, two chairs, two closets or wardrobes, a sink, towel racks, and a combination refrigerator/freezer and microwave. (Sinks are not available in the rooms in Evans Hall.)

Does housing provide linens?

No, you are repsonsible for your own towels and sheets. Our Residence Hall Association works with Residence Hall Linens to provide hard to find extra-long twin sheets and bedding. Please visit to see the wide variety of extra-long sheets, comforters, bath, and storage items.

What size sheets should I buy for my bed?

You will need sheets for an extra-long twin bed, which is 36"W x 80"L. To help avoid the frustration of purchasing linens that may not fit, we have partnered with Residence Hall Linens to provide linens for extra-long mattresses. They offer lots of products for your residence hall including extra-long twin sheets, comforters, bath, and storage items. Visit for more information.

Are the rooms carpeted?

All of our residence halls are carpeted except for Evans and Rice. For these halls, you may bring an area rug to place over the tile.

Can I decorate my room?

Your room is your home for nine months, bring what you need to feel at home! Plants, MSU decorations, and matching bedspreads can all add that special touch. Please remember the room and the furniture must be found in the same condition as when you checked in, or you will be assessed damages for the difference. We have put together a checklist of things we recommend you bring to dress up your room and to make you feel more at home!

Can I bring my own furniture?

Yes and no. You're encouraged to make your room as homey as possible. We've provided you with all the things we think you'll need, but if you have a favorite chair, desk, chest, or whatever, you can bring that, too.

Are any of the halls air-conditioned?

Yes, all the residence halls at Mississippi State University are air-conditioned.

Who cleans my room?

You and your roommate are responsible for the cleanliness of your room. Your residence hall custodians are responsible for cleaning all of your hall’s common areas, such as hallways, lobbies, and community baths and showers. Therefore, if you are assigned to Griffis, Hurst, Magnolia, Mosely, North, Oak, or Ruby, you are responsible for cleaning your private bathroom and shower.

Can I study in the residence hall?

Yes, you can definitely study in your residence hall. In fact, we encourage you to do so because the Department of Housing and Residence Life has resources to provide you with extensive academic services in the residence halls, such as expanded computer labs, study rooms, tutoring, and academic programming.

Can I smoke in my room?

No, all residence halls at Mississippi State University are smoke-free.

Is there a telephone in my room?

No; Students want their own personal phones; therefore, we no longer provide them. Local phone service, Voicemail, and Caller ID are available at an additional fee. Visit for information on how to establish telephone service.

Do I get cable TV?

Yes, each room has a cable TV hook-up that provides basic channels and HBO. Therefore, if your television is cable ready, you can pick up many channels For a detailed channel lineup, please In addition, the university operates channel 10 with PBS and airs many university-produced programs, including coaches' shows and game-of-the-week highlights from university sports.

Your basic cable service fees are included in your housing fee. Additional channels may be purchased through MetroCast.

Finally, there are televisions in each residence hall lobby that are connected to cable and are available for students to use 24 hours a day.

Can I bring my car to campus?

Yes, but you must buy a parking decal to park by your hall. Parking is only permitted in specific areas designated by your decal, and you will get a ticket if you are park out of zone. The University encourages you to walk, ride a bike, or use the University Transit System. To purchase your parking decal, you must register your vehicle with Parking Services online at

Top of Page